Herbert Howells (1892-1983): Hymnus Paradisi
- Künstler: Claire Rutter, James Gilchrist, Roderick Williams, The Bach Choir, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, David Hill
- Label: Naxos, DDD, 2006
- Bestellnummer: 1474965
- Erscheinungstermin: 29.5.2007
ProduktinfoHerbert Howells is known chiefly for his church music, arguably the finest by any English composer of the twentieth century. Sir Patrick Spens, Howells' first attempt at writing a large-scale choral work, has received only one known performance until this recording. Hymnus paradisi was composed under heart-breaking circumstances following the death of the composer's son, Michael, aged nine. As Howells later wrote: "The sudden loss of an only son might impel a composer to seek release and consolation in a language and terms most personal to him. Music may well have power to offer that release and comfort. It did so in my case." Throughout this deeply moving work, in which the human tragedy of a boy's death and a father's grief are enshrined, Howells' command of choral and orchestral polyphony is masterly.
PressestimmenFonoForum 12 / 07: "David Hill und seinen vortrefflichen Kräften gelingen ergreifende Momente."
- 1 Sir Patrick Spens, Op. 23
- 2 Hymnus Paradisi: I. Preludio
- 3 Hymnus Paradisi: II. Requiem aeternam
- 4 Hymnus Paradisi: Iii. Psalm 23, The Lord Is My Shepherd
- 5 Hymnus Paradisi: IV. Sanctus
- 6 Hymnus Paradisi: V. I heard a voice from heaven
- 7 Hymnus Paradisi: VI. Holy is the true Light
lieferbar innerhalb einer Woche
(soweit verfügbar beim Lieferanten)