Pax Britannica (abridged)
- Pax Britannica (abridged)
- CD i **;
- Mitwirkender: Roy Mcmillan
- NAXOS AUDIO BOOKS, 07/2011
- Einband: CD
- Sprache: Englisch
- ISBN-13: 9781843794714
- Bestell-Nr.: 4925609
- Umfang: 6 Seiten
- Altersfreigabe: FSK ab 0 freigegeben - - -
- Gewicht: 240 g
- Maße: 142 x 124 mm
- Stärke: 25 mm
- Spielzeit: 439:00 Min.
- Erscheinungstermin: 15.7.2011
Achtung: Artikel ist nicht in deutscher Sprache!
Weitere Ausgaben von Pax Britannica
Pax Britannica, the second volume, is a snapshot of the Empire at the Diamond Jubilee of 1897. It looks at what made up the Empire – from adventures and politicians to communications and infrastructure, as well as anomalies and eccentricities. This humane overview also examines the muddle of jumbled ideologies behind it, and how they affected its 370 million people.
The Climax of an Empire Read by Roy McMillan
Jan Morris is a leading historian and travel writer. She has spent ten years working as a foreign correspondent and has written some 40 books of history, travel, biography and fiction, including Venice.
Roy McMillan is a director, writer, actor and abridger. For Naxos AudioBooks he has directed many readings, written podcasts and sleevenotes, and read titles such as The Body Snatcher and Other Stories, Bulldog Drummond and The French Revolution – In a Nutshell.
KlappentextThe Pax Britannica trilogy is Jan Morris's magnificent history of the British Empire from 1837 to 1965. Huge in scope and ambition, it is always personal and immediate, bringing the story vividly to life. Pax Britannica, the second volume, is a snapshot of the Empire at the Diamond Jubilee of 1897. It looks at what made up the Empire from adventurers and politicians to communications and infrastructure, as well as anomalies and eccentricities. This humane overview also examines the muddle of jumbled ideologies behind it, and how it affected its 370 million people.
- 1 Introduction read by Jan Morris
- 2 Pax Britannica ? The Climax of an Empire
- 3 Within two minutes we are told
- 4 The Diamond Jubilee crystallized the new conception of Empire
- 5 Most Englishmen asked what it was all about
- 6 To other nations the imperial methods often seemed
- 7 The British had invented submarine cables
- 8 The movement of people out of the British islands
- 9 As for the flora and fauna
- 10 Beneath a low kopje on the Makabusi River
- 11 "The Company had been, it is true, under a cloud"
- 12 But far lower even than the vagrants in the social scale
- 13 The infatuated British public did not greatly concern itself
- 14 Trade was a steadier imperial impulse
Lieferzeit beträgt mind. 4 Wochen
(soweit verfügbar beim Lieferanten)
portofrei innerhalb Deutschlands