Edgar Wallace: The Four Just Men
- NAXOS AUDIO BOOKS, 05/2011
- Einband: CD
- Sprache: Englisch
- ISBN-13: 9781843794554
- Bestell-Nr.: 7282198
- Altersfreigabe: FSK ab 0 freigegeben - - -
- Gewicht: 220 g
- Maße: 145 x 124 mm
- Stärke: 25 mm
- Spielzeit: 271:00 Min.
- Erscheinungstermin: 30.5.2011
Achtung: Artikel ist nicht in deutscher Sprache!
The mysterious Four Just Men are wealthy Europeans who move easily in high society but, capable of convincing disguise and brilliant acting, are as likely to be found on the street corners of London as at the dinner tables of Paris and Rome. They are the ultimate vigilantes. Their job is to exact justice where governments and police are hamstrung. They work outside the law – and set about their business with grim precision.
Read by Bill Homewood
Bill Homewood is well known for his appearances in numerous television shows and leading roles in the West End and for the Royal Shakespeare Company. His other recordings for Naxos AudioBooks include Les Misérables, King Solomon’s Mines, The Count of Monte Cristo and She.
KurzbeschreibungThe mysterious Four Just Men are wealthy Europeans who move easily in high society but, capable of convincing disguise and brilliant acting, are as likely to be found on the street corners of London as at the dinner tables of Paris and Rome. They are the ultimate vigilantes. Their job is to exact justice where governments and police are hamstrung. They work outside the law - and set about their business with grim precision.
KlappentextEdgar Wallace's classic vigilante detective series, The Four Just Men - four wealthy and resourceful individuals determined to take the law into their own hands - has maintained its popularity for over a century.
Biografie (Edgar Wallace)Geboren wurde Edgar Wallace 1875 als unehelicher Sohn eines Schauspielers. Er wuchs in armen Verhältnissen auf, blieb ohne Schulabschluss und schlug sich mit Gelegenheitsjobs durch. Schließlich begann er kleine Artikel für Zeitungen zu schreiben. Mit Erfolg: Er arbeitete sich hoch bis zum Chefredakteur. Später lebte er als freier Schriftsteller und schrieb Sachbücher, Gedichte und Theaterstücke, 1904 schließlich seinen ersten Krimi; das Debüt einer beispiellosen Karriere. Edgar Wallace verfasste 175 Romane, 24 Theaterstücke, eine große Anzahl von Kurzgeschichten, Essays, Zeitungs- und Zeitschriftenartikeln und Drehbüchern. Die Filme, die nach seinen Vorlagen gedreht wurden, sind kaum zu zählen. Edgar Wallace verstarb hoch verschuldet 1932 in Hollywood.
Disk 1 von 4
- 1 The Four Just Men by Edgar Wallace ? Prologue
- 2 Leon twisted his knuckles down and struck forward
- 3 He mounted the horse I had brought
- 4 Chapter 1: A Newspaper Story
- 5 "Here is one of the letters, and Sir Philip produced a sheet"
- 6 The Daily Megaphone is able to publish a full list
- 7 "Seattle (Kentucky), October, 1900. ? Judge Anderson."
- 8 Chapter 2: The Faithful Commons
- 9 There were cheers for the Secretary for Foreign Affairs
- 10 "To the Members of the House of Commons, he read"
- 11 "The Premier, with a troubled face, paced the floor"
- 12 Chapter 3: One Thousand Pounds Reward
- 13 All day long little knots of people gathered
- 14 Is it the Mafia? asked the Comet noisily
- 15 Sir Philip was a constant source of interest
Disk 2 von 4
- 1 Chapter 4: Preparations
- 2 It was a plain-fronted shop
- 3 The physiognomist might have continued Senecas picture
- 4 After this the conversation became Greek to the Spaniard
- 5 The object of their discussion finished his tenth cigarette
- 6 A thin smoke was rising from the cup.
- 7 Chapter 5: The Outrage at the Megaphone
- 8 Half an hour later the editor of the Megaphone sat discussing
- 9 So Welby and the chief kept the matter a secret
- 10 The cab speeding along Oxford Street turned into Edgware Road
- 11 "Manfred scanned the pages carefully, then threw them aside."
- 12 He spoke all the while in English
- 13 Chapter 6: The Clues
- 14 "From which may be gathered that, acting on the information"
- 15 His official residence he absolutely refused to occupy
- 16 In the top room in the workshop at Carnaby Street
- 17 "I am going to survey the land, said Manfred suddenly"
- 18 He threw up his hands as if to ward them off.
Disk 3 von 4
- 1 Chapter 7: The Messenger of The Four
- 2 The Four Just Men were on the nerves of more people
- 3 He placed the letter in a drawer of his desk
- 4 The detective finished reading.
- 5 "Ramon paced his room with quick, nervous steps."
- 6 He took a quick step to the door
- 7 Chapter 8: The Pocket-Book
- 8 "It is a poetical idea, said the phlegmatic Premier"
- 9 They resumed their walk.
- 10 "So, the night being comparatively young"
- 11 The contents of this page was understandable
- 12 "Now, Billy, said the detective"
- 13 Chapter 9: The Cupidity of Marks
- 14 The detective rose with a sigh.
- 15 Then Poiccart spoke: The very stars in their courses are fighting
- 16 """Can you oblige me with a match?"" I asked."
Disk 4 von 4
- 1 Poiccart paused for a moment
- 2 "The explanation is simple, said Gonsalez quietly"
- 3 He pushed open the swing doors
- 4 He turned from the contemplation of the unpleasant possibilities
- 5 Chapter 10: Three Who Died
- 6 And within an hour there was witnessed in London
- 7 The Commissioner nodded.
- 8 "From my vantage place, wrote Smith in the Megaphone"
- 9 Seven oclock boomed forth
- 10 That forty minutes was the longest
- 11 Chapter 11: A Newspaper Cutting
- 12 What steps did you take when you discovered this?
- 13 You speak of a blow leaving no contusion.
- 14 After the tragedy did you make a systematic search
- 15 Chapter 12: Conclusion
- 16 He stood for a moment at the entrance
nur noch 1 Stück am Lager. Danach versandfertig innerhalb einer Woche (soweit verfügbar beim Lieferanten)