Herbert Howells (1892-1983): Hymnus Paradisi
- 1 Sir Patrick Spens, Op. 23 Start
- 2 Hymnus Paradisi: I. Preludio Start
- 3 Hymnus Paradisi: II. Requiem aeternam Start
- 4 Hymnus Paradisi: Iii. Psalm 23, The Lord Is My Shepherd Start
- 5 Hymnus Paradisi: IV. Sanctus Start
- 6 Hymnus Paradisi: V. I heard a voice from heaven Start
- 7 Hymnus Paradisi: VI. Holy is the true Light Start
ProduktinfoHerbert Howells is known chiefly for his church music, arguably the finest by any English composer of the twentieth century. Sir Patrick Spens, Howells' first attempt at writing a large-scale choral work, has received only one known performance until this recording. Hymnus paradisi was composed under heart-breaking circumstances following the death of the composer's son, Michael, aged nine. As Howells later wrote: "The sudden loss of an only son might impel a composer to seek release and consolation in a language and terms most personal to him. Music may well have power to offer that release and comfort. It did so in my case." Throughout this deeply moving work, in which the human tragedy of a boy's death and a father's grief are enshrined, Howells' command of choral and orchestral polyphony is masterly.
PressestimmenFonoForum 12 / 07: "David Hill und seinen vortrefflichen Kräften gelingen ergreifende Momente."
lieferbar innerhalb einer Woche
(soweit verfügbar beim Lieferanten)
portofrei innerhalb Deutschlands