She: A History of Adventure
- She: A History of Adventure
- 11 CDs i **;
- Mitwirkender: H. Rider Haggard
- NAXOS AUDIO BOOKS, 01/2011
- Einband: CD
- Sprache: Englisch
- ISBN-13: 9781843794110
- Bestell-Nr.: 7282190
- Gewicht: 399 g
- Maße: 168 x 142 mm
- Stärke: 32 mm
- Erscheinungstermin: 3.1.2011
Achtung: Artikel ist nicht in deutscher Sprache!
Somewhere in Africa, a tiny, primitive tribe, the Amahaggers, live secretly amongst the debris of a lost Egyptian civilization, ruled by the beautiful semi-goddess Ayesha, or She-who-must-be-obeyed. Ludwig Horace Holly, a Cambridge academic, is reluctantly drawn into plans for a voyage in search of this legendary queen. With his adopted son, Leo, he sets out on a brave journey, following a trail of clues. Shipwrecked and captured by cannibals, their voyage soon turns into a nightmare. This masterpiece of suspense and adventure, by the author of King Solomon’s Mines, contains some of the most sensual, gently erotic passages in 19th-century literature.
KlappentextRider Haggard's novel about a supremely beautiful but vindictive African goddess by the name of She is one of the best-selling books of all time.
Disk 1 von 11
- 1 Introduction
- 2 That same evening my visit came to an end
- 3 "This letter, as may be imagined"
- 4 I - My Visitor
- 5 A tall man of about thirty
- 6 "He paused a while, his head sunk upon his hand"
- 7 "There, he said, I must go"
- 8 II - The Years Roll By
- 9 I put down the letter
- 10 In a very little while
- 11 Iii - The Sherd Of Amenartas
- 12 Job and Leo bent forward in breathless silence.
- 13 "That is all, I said."
- 14 Of the adventures that befell me
- 15 "Well, lets see what the potsherd has to say"
Disk 2 von 11
- 1 Besides the uncial writing on the convex side
- 2 A few of the Roman names
- 3 Then came the last entry
- 4 How do you account for what my father saw
- 5 IV - The Squall
- 6 "Well, Job, I said"
- 7 Bail out! bail out! shouted Job
- 8 "Another minute, and with a sort of howl"
- 9 V - The Head of the Ethiopian
- 10 The river mouth which we were entering
- 11 "Well, what is to be done now? I asked"
- 12 He lifted the rifle
- 13 I do not quite know what it is that made me
- 14 VI - An Early Christian Ceremony
Disk 3 von 11
- 1 I do not know that there is any necessity
- 2 "The man advanced, and the tall shadowy form"
- 3 "Art thou awake, stranger? he said"
- 4 On looking round we discovered
- 5 Vii - Ustane Sings
- 6 When he had gone we discussed the situation
- 7 "Taking the hint, we got up and went down to the stream"
- 8 "They had a Queen, however. She was their Queen"
- 9 We three and Ustane were sitting round a fire
- 10 "viii - The Feast, And After!"
- 11 This is a digression at a critical moment
- 12 I sprang to my feet with a yell of horror
- 13 Then it was that the two others sprang upon me.
Disk 4 von 11
- 1 IX - A Little Foot
- 2 "Ah, he went on, it was a gallant fight that ye fought"
- 3 The morning came at last
- 4 I looked up doubtfully
- 5 X - Speculations
- 6 "On we went through it all, till at last the sun sank"
- 7 "Above me, as I lay, shone the eternal stars"
- 8 Then I fell to reflecting upon the undertaking
- 9 "Presently, as we blundered and floundered along"
- 10 XI - The Plain of Kor
- 11 "Behold the house of ""She-who-must-be-obeyed""!"
- 12 By now we were well on to the great plain
- 13 At last we reached the face of the precipice itself
- 14 "As I anticipated, we had passed"
Disk 5 von 11
- 1 Xii - She
- 2 The first picture represented his death.
- 3 We passed down the passage
- 4 Painfully and slowly old Billali crept up
- 5 "Why art thou so frightened, stranger?"
- 6 Xiii - Ayesha Unveils
- 7 "So! The Hebrews, are they yet at Jerusalem?"
- 8 Oh man! she said at last
- 9 Dost thou wonder how I knew that ye were coming
- 10 Hast thou aught to ask me before thou goest
- 11 She lifted her white and rounded arms
- 12 Drawn by some magnetic force which I could not resist
Disk 6 von 11
- 1 Xiv - A Soul In Hell
- 2 Next I bethought me that I had not been
- 3 "I was at the curtains, and they did not hang close"
- 4 But at length she seemed to wear herself out
- 5 XV - Ayesha Gives Judgment
- 6 After I had dressed myself
- 7 Then came a silence.
- 8 "Dogs and serpents, She began in a low voice"
- 9 Xvi - The Tombs Of Kor
- 10 "I, Junis, a priest of the Great Temple of Kor"
- 11 Accordingly I followed her to a side passage
- 12 We left the place and entered others.
Disk 7 von 11
- 1 "Behold the lot of man, said the veiled Ayesha"
- 2 Xvii - The Balance Turns
- 3 "So, my Holly, sit there where thou canst see me"
- 4 "I rose, and sank on the cushioned couch beside her"
- 5 "Well, my Holly, she continued"
- 6 "Thou comest in a good time, Ayesha, I said"
- 7 "One thing, however, was certain"
- 8 "xviii - Go, Woman!"
- 9 I felt it was hopeless to argue
- 10 "Who is this man? she said, pointing"
- 11 That night I passed in Leos room
- 12 On the following day Leo got up
Disk 8 von 11
- 1 Xix - Give Me A Black Goat!
- 2 After about an hour of this amusement
- 3 "I promised thee a strange sight, my Holly, laughed Ayesha"
- 4 I thought that the entertainment was now over
- 5 XX - Triumph
- 6 Here Ayesha half rose from her couch
- 7 "I am not Kallikrates, and, as for being thy lord"
- 8 "Suddenly, with a snake-like motion"
- 9 "Then, turning to Leo, and laying her hand"
- 10 She paused in her strange and most thrilling allegorical chant
- 11 Xxi - The Dead And Living Meet
- 12 I turned to see what effect was produced upon Leo
Disk 9 von 11
- 1 As we passed to our own apartment
- 2 No doubt she was a wicked person
- 3 Xxii - Job Has A Presentiment
- 4 "Come, come, Job, I said seriously"
- 5 "And thou, too, oh Holly"
- 6 "Thou lookest high, answered Ayesha"
- 7 "Rise, Ayesha, he said sadly"
- 8 Xxiii - The Temple Of Truth
- 9 In connection with the extraordinary state of preservation
- 10 "There was a spot here, Kallikrates, she said to Leo"
- 11 "Come, said Ayesha, after we had gazed and gazed"
- 12 Xxiv - Walking The Plank
Disk 10 von 11
- 1 "Goodness me, Leo, I said"
- 2 "Here must we pass, said Ayesha."
- 3 "We must wait awhile, called Ayesha"
- 4 This settled me
- 5 Xxv - The Spirit Of Life
- 6 "And I returned, having learned from him"
- 7 "Such is the tale, my love"
- 8 "I swear, even in this most holy hour"
- 9 For a long period we travelled on thus
- 10 We reached the head of the cave
Disk 11 von 11
- 1 Xxvi - What We Saw
- 2 "Oh, look! - look! - look! shrieked Job"
- 3 But who can tell what had happened?
- 4 "Lets see it come once more, said Leo"
- 5 Xxvii - We Leap
- 6 "Shortly after this, suddenly"
- 7 Clearly all that we could do was to trust
- 8 Xxviii - Over The Mountain
- 9 "Billali, I said, once, thou knowest, I did save thy life"
- 10 "Farewell, my son the Baboon, he said"
lieferbar innerhalb einer Woche
(soweit verfügbar beim Lieferanten)
portofrei innerhalb Deutschlands