David H. Lawrence: The Virgin and the Gypsy
- NAXOS AUDIO BOOKS, 05/2011
- Einband: CD
- Sprache: Englisch
- ISBN-13: 9781843794530
- Bestell-Nr.: 7282197
- Umfang: 3 Seiten
- Gewicht: 200 g
- Maße: 145 x 124 mm
- Stärke: 25 mm
- Spielzeit: 217:00 Min.
- Erscheinungstermin: 30.5.2011
Achtung: Artikel ist nicht in deutscher Sprache!
In a claustrophobic household, oppressed by her blind, toad-like grandmother and a cowardly, conventional father, Yvette’s exuberance seems doomed to suppression. But meeting a gypsy awakens unfamiliar emotions in her, making her challenge the family’s accepted morality. As she wavers between conformity and rebellion, a flash flood threatens her home, her world and her life. This short novel deals with all the major themes of sexuality and identity that made Lawrence one of the most original and influential writers of the 20th century; and it is a satirical, atmospheric, moving and surprising masterpiece.
Read by Georgina Sutton
Georgina Sutton trained at the Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art. She has toured extensively to repertory theatres around the UK and her audio work includes voice commercials for Classic FM. She has read The Great Poets – Elizabeth Barrett Browning and Christina Rossetti for Naxos AudioBooks.
KurzbeschreibungIn a claustrophobic household, oppressed by her blind, toad-like grandmother and a cowardly, conventional father, Yvette¿s exuberance seems doomed to suppression. But meeting a gypsy awakens unfamiliar emotions in her, making her challenge the family¿s accepted morality. As she wavers between conformity and rebellion, a flash flood threatens her home, her world and her life.
This short novel deals with all the major themes of sexuality and identity that made Lawrence one of the most original and influential writers of the 20th century; and it is a satirical, atmospheric, moving and surprising masterpiece.
KlappentextIn post-war East Midlands, in a home dominated by their difficult grandmother and aunt, Yvette and Lucille are two sisters struggling to bring joy into their lives. Their mother, having run off in scandal, leaves the two to suffer a dysfunctional family life and oppressive domesticity. But one day, Yvette meets a free-spirited gypsy and his family, awakening her sexual desires and compounding her disenchantment.
Biografie (David H. Lawrence)David Herbert Lawrence (1885-1930), Sohn eines Minenarbeiters und einer Lehrerin, arbeitete in London zunächst selbst als Lehrer. Als er an Tuberkulose erkrankte, mußte er seinen Beruf aufgeben und unternahm rastlos schreibend ausgiebige Reisen. Sein Werk, entstanden unter dem Eindruck der Psychoanalyse Freuds, wurde wegen erotischer Freizügigkeiten scharf angegriffen. Neben zahlreichen Romanen und Erzählungen veröffentlichte Lawrence auch Reisebücher, Essays und Lyrik. Er starb 1930 in Vence bei Nizza.
Disk 1 von 3
- 1 Chapter 1
- 2 The children were brought up in this atmosphere
- 3 Chapter 2
- 4 So the months went by.
- 5 "The crossword puzzles, invented by Satan himself"
- 6 Then in the afternoon Lottie and Ella and Bob Framley came
- 7 Chapter 3
- 8 The party had been silent for some time.
- 9 The gypsy man had been sitting loosely
- 10 The woman took two wooden stools
- 11 "So, with curiosity, she followed the woman up the steps"
Disk 2 von 3
- 1 Chapter 4
- 2 When things went very wrong
- 3 "Hate kindled her heart, as she lay with numbed limbs."
- 4 "Granny, who had been in a semi-coma"
- 5 "Then Aunt Cissie, livid, sprang upon Lucille"
- 6 Chapter 5
- 7 Aunt Cissie began to bargain for the candlestick
- 8 The two girls started downstairs in state
- 9 She remained soft and remote in her amazement.
- 10 Chapter 6
- 11 "He put down his tools and the pot, and rose from the ground."
- 12 Obediently she went to the stool by the fire
- 13 Behind her the two men were talking briefly.
Disk 3 von 3
- 1 Chapter 7
- 2 "What is it Lucille, she asked"
- 3 "Yvette did not tell the rector, or Granny"
- 4 Do you mean to say you dont know what love is?
- 5 Chapter 8
- 6 "She looked at him, as he stood there"
- 7 It was Granny whom she came to detest with all her soul.
- 8 "The second time, she met the gypsy by accident."
- 9 Chapter 9
- 10 The sun was yellowing to decline.
- 11 With a low thud like thunder
- 12 "Yvette, naked, shuddering so much that she was sick"
- 13 Chapter 10
- 14 She was tugging at her hair when the policeman tapped
nur noch 1 Stück am Lager. Danach versandfertig innerhalb einer Woche (soweit verfügbar beim Lieferanten)